Saturday, February 13, 2010

Time and Space: Creating an "Archival Moment"

Making an artist book is not an easy task, especially when you're using mud, plaster, grass, pastel dust, and paint on burlap. One must ask his or her self how long will a book like this be in existence until it ultimately deteriorates into a pile of dust. The solution came from a sculptor mentor who told me to find an, "Archival Moment." At first I was quite confused, "What does this contradictory statement mean?" My initial hypothesis involved ripping a hole in time and space to achieve such a grand state of existence. So I went to the sketchbook, but unfortunately with the constraints of a 15x20 ft. poorly-lit studio and about two weeks to finish the project, I realized that it was impossible to actually rip a hole in time and space. I reformulated my hypothesis to explore different materials and both their archival and momentary properties. The solution came by way of glue, and Elmer's at that! I decided to pick up a gallon of it at a local art supply store and just, "play around" with it. I experimented with pouring, smearing, and brushing it onto surfaces. To my surprise it created a stiff, waterproof, clear, and impenetrable coating that dried rather quickly. It was at this point that I realized I had discovered the elusive, "Archival Moment" and quickly replicated the experiment on the pages of my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment